The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is responsible for product certification. According to the Bureau of Indian Standards Act 1986 (The BIS Act, 1986), product certification in India implements the principle of voluntary certification, but considering factors such as public health and safety and mass consumption, the Indian government issues an immediate decree to implement specific products. Compulsory certification, all products listed in compulsory certification must obtain product certification according to Indian product standards before they can enter the market.
1. Introduction to BIS Certification
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is responsible for product certification. According to the Bureau of Indian Standards Act 1986 (The BIS Act, 1986), product certification in India implements the principle of voluntary certification, but considering factors such as public health and safety and mass consumption, the Indian government issues an immediate decree to implement specific products. Compulsory certification, all products listed in compulsory certification must obtain product certification according to Indian product standards before they can enter the market. Therefore, it is necessary for manufacturers who want to enter the Indian market to understand the product certification system in India.
2. the common standards of BIS certification:
Information products: IS 13252(Part 1):2010
Audio and video products: IS 616:2010
3. Common test items for BIS certification
temperature rise test
Label Wipe Test
Ground Impedance Test
Creepage distance and electrical clearance, etc.
4. BIS certification information provided
1. Application form
2. Appointment form proving that there is a local agent in India, or a supporting document proving that the manufacturer has an Indian office, and a license from the Reserve Bank of India
3. Documents proving the establishment of the company, such as a registration certificate
4. Process flow chart, explaining the whole process of product manufacturing (from raw materials to finished products)
5. Quality control system (such as quality manual, quality control plan, testing arrangement, etc.)
6. Provide other details of product or system certification (if any)
7. Provide details of components or raw materials used in product manufacture (if any) prior to certification
8. List of manufacturing machines
9. List of experimental equipment during testing
10. Product design drawing
11. Details of qualifications and experience of laboratory supervisors, technical and QC staff
12. Test report from an accredited independent laboratory or the factory's own laboratory
13. Schematic diagram of the layout of the workshop, it is required to clearly show the main production machines, laboratories, etc.
14. Schematic diagram of traffic near the factory, schematic diagram from the nearest airport or railway station to the factory and detailed instructions from India to the factory
15. Bill of exchange statement
5. BIS certification process
1. Apply. Foreign manufacturers who want to obtain BIS certification generally need to use a special application form and prepare relevant documents to apply to the BIS New Delhi headquarters.
2. Record. BIS reviews the application documents and materials submitted by the applicant, and records the application if the procedures are complete. Applicants must pay the corresponding processing fee.
3. Initial factory inspection. BIS will assign a delegation of no more than 2 officials to the factory for inspection. The applicant shall bear the expenses such as travel and visa expenses for the official delegation to the factory for inspection and the corresponding inspection expenses.
4. Issue a certificate. If the initial inspection and test results are qualified, and the applicant agrees to implement the BIS-approved inspection and test plan after certification and pays the BIS identification fee, a certificate can be issued to the applicant. The certificate is valid for 1 year. After the certificate is granted, the licensee has to pay the identification fee and the certificate annual fee every year.
5. Post-certification supervision. BIS monitors the quality of its certified products through routine supervision of licensees and unannounced inspections and tests of samples in factories and markets. If the periodic inspection, the samples taken from the factory or the market meet the requirements after the factory inspection and independent test results, the certificate can be renewed. The licensee applies for renewal to BIS by submitting the specified form, and the certificate renewal fee is Rs 500. The licensee also needs to bear the cost of sample inspection.
6. BIS certification matters needing attention
1. The validity period of BIS certification is generally 1 year, and applicants must pay an annual fee. You can apply for an extension before the expiration of the period. In this case, you need to submit an extension application and pay the application fee and annual fee.
2.BIS accepts CB reports issued by valid institutions.
3. Certification will be faster if the applicant meets the following conditions:
a. Fill in the factory address of the factory in the application form
b. The factory has all testing equipment that meets relevant Indian standards
c. The product is confirmed to meet the requirements of the relevant Indian standards (tested according to the standard in its own laboratory or other independent laboratory, and the test report is submitted with the application form)
7. BIS certification mode
BIS product certification passes the initial inspection and evaluation of the factory's quality management system, sample testing, and the certificate is issued after confirming that it is qualified. After certification, the factory's quality management system is supervised. Compliance with Indian standards is determined by testing samples taken from factories and in the market.
8. BIS certification principles
1. Some products are voluntary certification: India's product certification implements the principle of voluntary certification, aiming to provide end consumers with quality-assured, safe and reliable products.
2. Some products are subject to compulsory certification: Taking into account factors such as public health and safety, as well as mass consumption, the Indian government has issued an immediate decree to implement compulsory certification for specific products. The Bureau of Indian Standards only applies for the grant of certification, and the specific work of compulsion is carried out by the relevant authority.
9. BIS certification body
ANCI is one of the earliest third-party laboratories in China's domestic certification industry to contact Indian certification. It has gathered an international team with more than ten years of certification experience, and its professional certification strength is beyond doubt. We directly obtained the docking project with the Indian official, which saved a lot of transit links and complicated processes in the certification process, with shorter time, higher efficiency, lower cost, and stronger guarantee. For example, if you have Indian BIS certification Demand, An Magnetic Testing will be your ideal choice!